Helen Mirren was tipped to play Queen at Olympic opening ceremony
London): Olympic organisers have revealed that they had considered casting Dame Helen Mirren as the monarch if the Queen refused to take part in the opening ceremony.
Her Majesty meeting James Bond, played by Daniel Craig at Buckingham Palace before a body double jumped out of a helicopter, was the high-point in a breathtaking multi-million pound showcase.
But organisers admitted they had a plan B in case she said no – and that included recruiting Mirren, who played the British monarch in a 2006 movie biopic.
“There were conversations about where we would take it if the Queen said no. And yes we did talk about Helen at one point but fortunately we didn’t have to go to any other plan,”
Taking about criticism of George Michael being allowed to perform his new song White Light, Green added: “It was something that George wanted. We were happy that he was involved in the ceremony.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games