Helen Mirren was tipped to play Queen at Olympic opening ceremony
London): Olympic organisers have revealed that they had considered casting Dame Helen Mirren as the monarch if the Queen refused to take part in the opening ceremony.
Her Majesty meeting James Bond, played by Daniel Craig at Buckingham Palace before a body double jumped out of a helicopter, was the high-point in a breathtaking multi-million pound showcase.
But organisers admitted they had a plan B in case she said no – and that included recruiting Mirren, who played the British monarch in a 2006 movie biopic.
“There were conversations about where we would take it if the Queen said no. And yes we did talk about Helen at one point but fortunately we didn’t have to go to any other plan,”
Taking about criticism of George Michael being allowed to perform his new song White Light, Green added: “It was something that George wanted. We were happy that he was involved in the ceremony.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside