Helen Mirren was tipped to play Queen at Olympic opening ceremony
London): Olympic organisers have revealed that they had considered casting Dame Helen Mirren as the monarch if the Queen refused to take part in the opening ceremony.
Her Majesty meeting James Bond, played by Daniel Craig at Buckingham Palace before a body double jumped out of a helicopter, was the high-point in a breathtaking multi-million pound showcase.
But organisers admitted they had a plan B in case she said no – and that included recruiting Mirren, who played the British monarch in a 2006 movie biopic.
“There were conversations about where we would take it if the Queen said no. And yes we did talk about Helen at one point but fortunately we didn’t have to go to any other plan,”
Taking about criticism of George Michael being allowed to perform his new song White Light, Green added: “It was something that George wanted. We were happy that he was involved in the ceremony.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees