It was sad, unbelievable experience: Harbhajan
New Delhi: Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh on Thursday described as "sad" and "unbelievable" the experience of getting caught in massive floods in Uttarakhand while on a pilgrimage.
The off-spinner was on his way to Sikh shrine Hemkunt Sahib but was stuck at Joshimath and remained there for a few days before Army rescued him along with a lot of other pilgrims.
"The rain was not stopping, the roads were shattered, bridges were broken. You could neither go up nor you could comeback due to landslides. We were stuck and waited for things to clear. I just wonder, how so much water can gather there. I had never seen something like that. It was unbelievable," Harbhajan said after returning safely.
He said fear did get the better of him and praised Indo-Tibetan Border Police jawans for helping out those who were stranded in the hills.
"ITBP people looked after us well. Also the Uttrakhand government was very supportive. They were providing people whatever was needed. Without Army we would not have comeback safely," he told CNN-IBN.
"They had a great set up. The camp there is big. They were providing all the facilities, food clothes, shelter. It was sad but it was an unbelievable experience," he added.
Harbhajan also said that everyone was being treated equally and he himself did not think that "he should be treated differently".
The bowler thanked God for his safe return and vowed to go back there in future to complete his pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof