It was sad, unbelievable experience: Harbhajan
New Delhi: Indian cricketer Harbhajan Singh on Thursday described as "sad" and "unbelievable" the experience of getting caught in massive floods in Uttarakhand while on a pilgrimage.
The off-spinner was on his way to Sikh shrine Hemkunt Sahib but was stuck at Joshimath and remained there for a few days before Army rescued him along with a lot of other pilgrims.
"The rain was not stopping, the roads were shattered, bridges were broken. You could neither go up nor you could comeback due to landslides. We were stuck and waited for things to clear. I just wonder, how so much water can gather there. I had never seen something like that. It was unbelievable," Harbhajan said after returning safely.
He said fear did get the better of him and praised Indo-Tibetan Border Police jawans for helping out those who were stranded in the hills.
"ITBP people looked after us well. Also the Uttrakhand government was very supportive. They were providing people whatever was needed. Without Army we would not have comeback safely," he told CNN-IBN.
"They had a great set up. The camp there is big. They were providing all the facilities, food clothes, shelter. It was sad but it was an unbelievable experience," he added.
Harbhajan also said that everyone was being treated equally and he himself did not think that "he should be treated differently".
The bowler thanked God for his safe return and vowed to go back there in future to complete his pilgrimage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez