Lee keen to rebuild Australia`s image
Melbourne: The newly roped in ambassador of Tourism Australia for India, Brett Lee has said he would help in rebuilding his country`s image that has taken a beating following a spate of racial incidents in the past few years.
Welcoming over 70 Indian travel agents at the Melbourne Cricket Ground yesterday, the former Aussie speedster insisted that Australia is not a racist country.
"Australia is not a racist country and the issue has been blown out of proportion in the media," he said.
"Yes, there have been issues but there was a lot of speculation and innuendo," Lee was quoted as saying by the Australian media.
The fast bowler also said that 90 per cent of the Indians would jump at an opportunity to come to Australia because of its climate and hospitality.
"Indians love Aussies and they love the fact that we can talk about cricket. They love coming out and studying here because of the climate and the hospitality.
"Australia is a beautiful place and has so much to offer," said Lee, who has been named a "Friend of Australia" under Tourism Australia`s advocacy program.
The `Friends of Australia` program has more than 160 advocates, including media personality Antonia Kidman, The Castle star Michael Caton and businessman Dick Smith.
Meanwhile Lee, according to media reports, has said that he was looking forward to heading to India in a fortnight to discuss other business opportunities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing