Maria Sharapova finally has a Twitter account
Moscow: Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova is finally taking to Twitter after years of loyalty to rival social network Facebook.
Unsurprisingly, the first tweet of the World No. 2, who cruised into the second round of the Australian Open earlier Monday, was a commercial linked to her new line of candy.
"Your ultimate sugarmama has arrived #myfirsttweet," said the fashion icon, whose cover picture shows her glancing back from the wheel of a classic car.
An hour after her first tweet the 25-year-old Sharapova, sport`s highest female earner in 2012, had racked up more than 7,600 followers.
Since 2010 Sharapova has been posting video and text updates on Facebook, where she has 9.2 million "likes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed