McGrath’s idea of a honeymoon – cricket lunch
While most people prefer flying off to a holiday destination right after marriage, Glenn McGrath’s idea of a honeymoon was different - spending the first day of his second marriage with cricketing mates.
Leaving new bride Sara Leonardi behind at their Woolooware home and with their honeymoon plans on hold, the former fast bowler honoured a speaking engagement in Sydney - less than 24 hours after tying the knot.
McGrath again surprised guests by fronting for the Randwick Petersham Cricket Club’s Ashes lunch at Water’s Edge restaurant, Walsh Bay.
Flashing a simple gold wedding band on his ring finger, he used his keynote speech to boast about giving the media the slip on his big day.
With a nod to his late wife Jane, who lost her fight with breast cancer two years ago, McGrath told the audience, “It’s been a tough few years but it was a really happy day for our families.”
However, while leaving the event, a publication asked jovial groom about his idea of a honeymoon with cricketers.
“I had committed to Whit [former cricketer Mike Whitney] that I would do this so I wanted to stand by that,” the Daily Telegraph quoted McGrath as saying.
And those holiday plans with his wife?
“We’ll see,” he said, coyly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed