Mike Tyson admits still has `full-on raging addiction` for drugs, booze
Sydney: Retired US boxing champion Mike Tyson has admitted that he still has a `full-on raging` addiction to drugs like cocaine, cannabis and alcohol, adding that only his conscience about his family keeps him from losing control.
Regarded as being among the best heavyweight boxers in history, Tyson, who served three years in prison between 1992 and 1995 for rape, was as well known for his fierce style inside the ring as for his questionable behaviour on the outside, and he retired from the sport in 2005.
According to News.com.au, Tyson has revealed that he `gets high` whenever he gets the chance, even now, adding that he still has a weakness towards drugs and alcohol and could never resist their cravings as he is an addict.
Stating that the crises that he faced in life had aggravated his `struggle` with cravings for drink and drugs, Tyson said that his brutal training regimen which started when he was a young boxer fell apart after the death of his mentor Cus D`Amato in 1986, following which he began his addiction s, although he became a `raging addict` after his retirement.
Tyson further said that since then, he has struggled for sobriety, although he added that he had learned there were some things in his life, like his family, which made it worth staying sober and made him develop a conscience and `a craving to be a better person`.
Tyson also said that when he is focused on doing good and being good, and practice the day-to-day mechanics of a sober, healthy life, he does not get those urges to do `bad things` to himself, adding that his conscience has saved him from descending into a life of total, selfish hedonistic abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth