President to present National Sports Awards today
New Delhi: Olympic heroes, shooter Vijay Kumar and wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt will jointly receive the country`s highest sporting honour -- the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna -- from President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
An unprecedented 25 sportspersons will also be conferred with the Arjuna awards while the eight coaches from different disciplines will receive the Dronacharya Awards at a function in Rashtrapati Bhawan here.
The President will also present the Dhyan Chand and Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award on the occassion.
National Sports Awards are given every year to recognise and reward excellence in sports.
Pistol shooter Vijay had won a silver in the 25m rapid fire event at the London Olympics, while Yogeshwar bagged a bronze in 60kg free style event. Both the medallists will collect the trophy that consists of a medal, citation and cash prize of Rs 7.5 lakh each from the President.
Cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who is preparing to stage a comeback after recovering from a rare germ cell cancer, is among the 25 sportspersons, who will receive the Arjuna award.
To be eligible for this award, a sportsperson should have not only good performance consistently for the previous three years at the international level with excellence for the year for which the award is recommended but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline. The Award consists of a statuette, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress and a cash award of Rs 5 lakh.
India won six medals -- two silver and four bronze medals in London, which is country`s best performance in Olympic Games.
Eight coaches (including two for lifetime achievement) will be awarded with the Dronacharya Awards. The Award comprises of a plaque, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress, and a cash prize of Rs 5 lakhs.
Four sportspersons will be awarded with Dhyan Chand Awards for their lifetime achievement in sports and games. This Award was instituted in the year 2002 for honouring those sportspersons who have contributed to promotion of sports even after their retirement from an active sporting career. The Award consists of a cash award of Rs. 5 lakh, a plaque and a scroll of honour.
Four persons will be conferred with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards for the year 2O11 to recognise their achievement in the field of adventure. The award carries a statuette, a certificate and cash prize of Rs 5 lakhs.
In addition, the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar for the year 2012 will be awarded to four entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues