President to present National Sports Awards today
New Delhi: Olympic heroes, shooter Vijay Kumar and wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt will jointly receive the country`s highest sporting honour -- the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna -- from President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday.
An unprecedented 25 sportspersons will also be conferred with the Arjuna awards while the eight coaches from different disciplines will receive the Dronacharya Awards at a function in Rashtrapati Bhawan here.
The President will also present the Dhyan Chand and Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award on the occassion.
National Sports Awards are given every year to recognise and reward excellence in sports.
Pistol shooter Vijay had won a silver in the 25m rapid fire event at the London Olympics, while Yogeshwar bagged a bronze in 60kg free style event. Both the medallists will collect the trophy that consists of a medal, citation and cash prize of Rs 7.5 lakh each from the President.
Cricketer Yuvraj Singh, who is preparing to stage a comeback after recovering from a rare germ cell cancer, is among the 25 sportspersons, who will receive the Arjuna award.
To be eligible for this award, a sportsperson should have not only good performance consistently for the previous three years at the international level with excellence for the year for which the award is recommended but also should have shown qualities of leadership, sportsmanship and a sense of discipline. The Award consists of a statuette, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress and a cash award of Rs 5 lakh.
India won six medals -- two silver and four bronze medals in London, which is country`s best performance in Olympic Games.
Eight coaches (including two for lifetime achievement) will be awarded with the Dronacharya Awards. The Award comprises of a plaque, a scroll of honour, ceremonial dress, and a cash prize of Rs 5 lakhs.
Four sportspersons will be awarded with Dhyan Chand Awards for their lifetime achievement in sports and games. This Award was instituted in the year 2002 for honouring those sportspersons who have contributed to promotion of sports even after their retirement from an active sporting career. The Award consists of a cash award of Rs. 5 lakh, a plaque and a scroll of honour.
Four persons will be conferred with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Awards for the year 2O11 to recognise their achievement in the field of adventure. The award carries a statuette, a certificate and cash prize of Rs 5 lakhs.
In addition, the Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar for the year 2012 will be awarded to four entities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest