Russian politician calls Stephen Fry `sick` for urging boycott of Winter Olympics
London: Vitaly Milonov, co-creator of Russia`s anti-gay laws, has accused British actor and broadcaster Stephen Fry for being `sick` to the level that he tried to commit suicide in 2012, after the latter called for boycotting Winter Olympics in Russia in wage of homophobic prejudice.
Milonov was fuming over Fry`s appeal to cancel Winter Olympics to be held in Sochi next year and said that he likens homosexuality to perversion, the Independent reports.
Fry, who is suffering from bipolar disorder, had revealed in June that he had tried to take his own life in 2012, while admitting that he still struggles with loneliness and unhappiness.
Earlier, Russia had passed a law imposing heavy fines for providing information about homosexuality to people under the age of 18 in June, which has been criticised by Western politicians and human rights groups.
Foreign nationals, who are found breaking the rules, might face jail, while Russians are likely to be fined for the same, the report added.
Milonov further said that homosexuality is one of the sins for Russians and it means they should not teach the kids that committing a sin is acceptable.
His comments came a day after Prime Minister David Cameron rejected Fry`s appeal to boycott Winter Olympics in Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what