Scooters now join Raid De Himalaya rally
Shimla: The Scooter Class (Xtreme) is the new official entry at one of the top ten toughest motorsport rallies of the world - the Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya.
The Maruti Suzuki Raid De Himalaya will be organised Oct 4-12. The Raid will begin from Shimla in Himachal Pradesh and will traverse some of the highest motorable roads in the world to end at Leh town in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
The rally is turning 15 this year. Vehicles that traditionally compete at the Raid de Himalaya are powerful cars, SUVs, motorcycles and quads. Joining their ranks now is the humble scooter.
Scooters are being allowed on a trial basis in their introductory year at the Raid. There are six entries in the Scooter Class (Xtreme) this year.
The machines taking up the Himalayan challenge are all four-stroke, ranging from 110 to 125 cc. Three of these are Suzuki Access. All scooters will be modified to enhance performance in conformity with rally rules.
Manohar Bhat, vice president (marketing) of Maruti Suzuki, said there was a huge demand from the scooter rally champions of the country to allow them to participate in the Raid De Himalaya.
Bhat said the scooter rallyists will compete in the Raid Xtreme (Alpine) category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman