Sehwag supports `Dare to Care` campaign to empower adolescent girls
New Delhi: Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag has lent support to the `Dare to Care` campaign in order to empower Indian adolescent girls.
Talking to media here, Sehwag said he is glued and excited about the campaign since the cause is so close to normal lives and hearts, and added that he would do anything to ensure its success.
"It is important for us, and everybody, to support the girl child, make sure that she goes to school, make sure she will get married after 18 years and also make sure that she has right to say no for certain things and make sure that she can participate in the houses to give their opinion or raise their voices. It is important for everyone to support that cause and I am very grateful to UNICEF that they are associating with Delhi dare Devils. We can promise that we can do whatever you need from us, we are ready to help you and ready to do for this cause," Sehwag said.
Sehwag also said that the `Dare to Care` campaign is looking forward to hearing millions of voices speak out for girls in India.
"The UNICEF people were briefing me. I got to know that there are 40 percent of young girls of 14-17 years of age, they are not going to school and around 50 percent of young girls are getting married before age of 18. So, it not a good sign for India. When we go abroad, we see lots of women and girls working for corporate, media and companies but when you move around India, you hardly see girls working for corporate and media and companies, so it is our responsibility to give chances to girls and women to work with men and with any company or in any media sections. So, we are ready to help anything and it is an hour to get associated with UNICEF," he added.
The campaign is a joint effort of UNICEF and the IPL franchise Delhi Daredevils, who aim to support efforts to protect girls still facing obstacles in their lives through various forms of discrimination, exploitation and abuse on account of their age and sex.
The campaign will focus on issues related to empowering girls with education, which would further give them courage to say no to an early marriage system and other issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Setback for Arvind Kejriwal as Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan for threatening woman
- Fawad Khan to romance Deepika Padukone in Ranveer Singh starrer 'Padmavati'?
- Solar Impulse 2 begins its final flight of world tour, heads to Abu dhabi
- 21 patients die on single day in Hyderabad govt hospital, staff blame power outage
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane