Spice Girls planning sensational comeback for Olympics closing ceremony
London: Spice Girls are set to make a much-awaited comeback by performing at the closing ceremony of the London Olympics.
According to sources, the quintet – Victoria Beckham, Geri Halliwell, Emma Bunton, Melanie Brown and Melanie Chisholm – are “95 percent” confirmed to perform at the event.
The girl band, who have not sung together since 2008, are set to join George Michael, The Who, Take That, Emeli Sande and Jessie J for the stunning climax to take place on August 12.
Tipped to perform two songs, the group has provisionally agreed to sing their 1996 debut hit ‘Wannabe.’
Halliwell is expected to wear a Union Flag dress like she did at the 1997 Brit Awards.
News of their comeback came as 38-year-old fashion designer Beckham let slip in a radio interview that she would like to appear one more time with the group.
“I’m so respectful of my past and I love the other girls. We have some fantastic fans,” the Mirror quoted Beckham as saying on RTE’s John Murray Show.
“I don’t know about a comeback tour but I loved being back with the girls. Who knows, maybe some day we’ll do something else with the Spice Girls. I would love nothing more.
“There was a lot of fun, we did so much together and we’ll see. If they’re up for something then I certainly am. We are so proud to be English and we are very excited about the Olympics,” she said.
Her comments are at odds with previous suggestions that LA-based Beckham was the one who had been blocking hopes of a reunion.
But the busy mum-of-four has unexpectedly been given more time to rehearse with the group because footie husband David, was left out of the Team GB football squad.
Now the main stumbling block seems to be Mel C who is a judge on TV talent show ‘Superstar’ and is right now getting over her recent split from boyfriend Thomas Starr.
“The girls were approached for the Games two years ago. It’s always been on the cards,” a source said.
“But Victoria’s hectic work schedule, and the fact she and Mel B live in the US have always been problematic until now. Victoria is in London until the end of the Games and David’s exclusion from the football team means she has time to reunite with the Spice Girls.
“Talks are back in full swing and the balance of power rests with Mel C. Everyone is hopeful she will agree to perform,” the source added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest