Tendulkar seeks divine blessings, visits Kali temple
Kolkata: One short of his 100th international century, Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday sought divine blessings when he visited Kali Temple at Kalighat while his fans organised havans to wish him luck.
Local India manager Alok Nandy said the seniormost India cricketer visited the temple around 4 pm but he could not go inside, fearing crowd mayhem.
"He went in a car and offeredprayers from outside. VVS Laxman also went to the temple," said Nandy.
The cricket-mad Kolkata crowd is keen to see that Tendulkar achieves the incredible feat at the historic Eden Gardens and many fans organised havans at Kalighat and many other sacred places to wish the Indian luck.
Last night, Tendulkar had an evening out at a restaurant in Saltlake. Accompanied by Pragyan Ojha, Ajinkya Rahane and Umesh Yadav, Tendulkar gorged on his favourite prawn recipes and some fish preparation, said the local manager.
The iconic Indian batsman came close to the 100-ton mark in the opening Test in Delhi before getting out for 76 in the second innings.
He has been stuck on 99 international hundereds since the ODI World Cup when he hit two centuries, against England and South Africa.
Tendulkar`s last ODI hundred was a 111-run knock, he scored against South Africa in the Nagpur match on March 12, his 48th ODI ton.
Since then, he has not scored an international hundred in for four ODIs and 10 innings from five Tests.
Tendulkar`s last Test hundred was in the first innings of the third Test against South Africa in Cape Town in January when he scored 146 in India`s 364 all out.
That was his 51st Test ton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official