Thorpe eyes 2013 world championships in Barcelona following ‘failed Olympic dream’
Sydney:Five-time Olympic gold medallist Ian Thorpe is set to compete in the 2013 World Championships in Barcelona, where he would be a likely ‘X-factor’ for getting slotted in Australia``s post-Olympic relay teams.
Thorpe has been back in the water at his Swiss training base with his coach Gennadi Touretski after he failed to secure a place in the Australian Olympic Team.
He would be 30 by the start of the world titles next year, but instead of an 18-month preparation to ultimately miss Olympics selection, he would be toughened by another 12 months of hard work to make the next significant Australian swim team.
Thorpe, who is gearing up in London for long-time sponsor Adidas, could break his former world record distance for the 4 x 200m freestyle relay next year, if he remained committed to his training.
Whether Thorpe will ever rediscover the sprint speed to keep up with rising teenage young guns like Cameron McEvoy is an intriguing question.
Thorpe missed out on a place in the Australian Olympics team after he failed to qualify in the 100 metres and 200m freestyle events at the Olympic trials in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof