TN increases sports quota seats in engg admission to 500
Chennai: In an effort to promote sports in a big way, the Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday decided to increase the sports quota seats in engineering admission from 100 to 500 from this academic year.
Taking into account the increasing number of sportspersons and sporting events, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has ordered increase in sports quota seats during counselling for engineering admission to 500 from the existing 100 seats from 2012-13, an official release said.
Sportspersons, who have participated and have won in international, national, state and district-level sports events would be eligible for admission in these 500 seats, as per the government guidelines, it said.
"This move will not only encourage sportspersons, but also make more youth take to sports and eventually increase the number of sportspersons in the state and help them in higher studies," it said.
The state government had recently enhanced the prize money awarded to medal winners in Olympics, Asian, Commonwealth, South Asian and National Games.
The prize money for gold, silver and bronze medal winners in Olympics has been doubled and they will get Rs two crore, Rs one crore and Rs 50 lakh respectively.
As for Asian and Commonwealth Games, gold, silver and bronze medallists will get Rs 50 lakh (earlier Rs 20 lakh), Rs 30 lakh (from Rs 15 lakh) and Rs 20 lakh (Rs 10 lakh) respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- PHOTOS: BRUTAL! Randy Orton receives 10 staples after Brock Lesnar's assault at SummerSlam
- Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag appeals for peace in Kashmir
- Start dialogue process for peace in Kashmir, Ghulam Nabi Azad tells government
- Preggers Kareena Kapoor Khan to be Sabyasachi's showstopper at LFW finale?
- This is what Arvind Kejriwal said for PM Narendra Modi after sedition case against Ramya