TN increases sports quota seats in engg admission to 500
Chennai: In an effort to promote sports in a big way, the Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday decided to increase the sports quota seats in engineering admission from 100 to 500 from this academic year.
Taking into account the increasing number of sportspersons and sporting events, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has ordered increase in sports quota seats during counselling for engineering admission to 500 from the existing 100 seats from 2012-13, an official release said.
Sportspersons, who have participated and have won in international, national, state and district-level sports events would be eligible for admission in these 500 seats, as per the government guidelines, it said.
"This move will not only encourage sportspersons, but also make more youth take to sports and eventually increase the number of sportspersons in the state and help them in higher studies," it said.
The state government had recently enhanced the prize money awarded to medal winners in Olympics, Asian, Commonwealth, South Asian and National Games.
The prize money for gold, silver and bronze medal winners in Olympics has been doubled and they will get Rs two crore, Rs one crore and Rs 50 lakh respectively.
As for Asian and Commonwealth Games, gold, silver and bronze medallists will get Rs 50 lakh (earlier Rs 20 lakh), Rs 30 lakh (from Rs 15 lakh) and Rs 20 lakh (Rs 10 lakh) respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP