We will have openly gay footballer in next ten years: Barton
Zeenews Sports Bureau
London: Outspoken footballer and QPR midfielder Joye Barotn feels strongly about gay footballers and blames the fears of team managers for homophobia in football.
JOEY Barton has spoken out in support of gay footballers — as he revealed his own uncle is homosexual in a TV documentary on Britain`s gay footballers.
“ Individuals within the game will discriminate against people. These archaic figures think if they had a gay footballer, they would have all kinds of shenanigans going on in the dressing room. That’s not the case. As I say it`s more fool them and their lack of social awareness and intelligence”, Barton was quoted as saying by ‘The Sun’.
He tells the show Britain`s Gay Footballers: "It`s a subject quite close to my heart because my dad`s youngest brother, the youngest of my uncles, is gay. And I didn`t know for a long, long time.
"He (Joey’s Uncle) thought because of the society that we were brought up in, which was quite working class, that it would be frowned upon or that we would disown him,” Barton was quoted as saying by the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city