West Indies cricketers shaken by terrifying flight
Wellington: West Indies captain Darren Sammy has admitted that his plane flight from Dunedin to Wellington for the second Test against New Zealand was his scariest for some time.
Sammy has vowed never to fly into Wellington again after high winds forced the pilot to abandon one landing attempt before getting both teams down safely Monday, reports CMC.
Other members of the West Indies team were also shaken up by the flight experience and some New Zealanders on the same flight were quoted as saying it was one of the roughest they had known.
"Most of our guys were a bit terrified, but hopefully the pitch at the Basin Reserve for the second Test is not as terrifying as the landing. I was once on a flight like that where one of the engines broke down and that was when I developed my fear of flying,” said Sammy.
"I was screaming like my daughter. I`m definitely taking the bus next time. I don`t mind the ferry. My wife was due to fly into that Wellington airport, I told her no chance so she`s going to do Sydney-Auckland not Sydney-Wellington. Not a chance."
West Indies coach Ottis Gibson has described the experience as ‘scary’ and ‘terrifying’ and said his players have now recovered.
"I don`t suppose anything can prepare you for that. It was a little bit scary, I`ve experienced it before myself in South Africa but a lot of us haven`t. There were a few finger nails chewed down to the bitter end,” said Gibson.
“We`ve recovered from it now. For some it was good fun, for some a bit terrifying."
The first Test between West Indies and New Zealand ended in a draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city