Wrestler Sushil Kumar calls on Delhi CM
New Delhi: Wrestler Sushil Kumar today called on Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit who warmly congratulated him for creating history by becoming the first Indian sportsperson to win back-to-back individual Olympic medals.
"The Chief Minister congratulated him for his success. She said he made the whole country proud by winning the silver medal at the London Olympics," an official from the chief minister`s office said.
Kumar called on Dikshit at her 3 Motilal Nehru residence.
The Delhi government has already announced a cash reward of Rs 2 crore to Kumar who hails from Delhi.
The official said the award will be presented to Kumar at a function soon.
Earlier, Dikshit had announced an award of Rs 1 crore immediately after Kumar won the Olympic silver medal in the 66kg freestyle wrestling event but later the Cabinet doubled the award money.
Kumar etched his name in the country`s sports history by becoming the first ever sportsperson to win back-to-back individual Olympic medals, having won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Wrestling and shooting provided India two medals each, while women boxing and badminton added one medal each in the London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened