Wrestler Sushil Kumar calls on Delhi CM
New Delhi: Wrestler Sushil Kumar today called on Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit who warmly congratulated him for creating history by becoming the first Indian sportsperson to win back-to-back individual Olympic medals.
"The Chief Minister congratulated him for his success. She said he made the whole country proud by winning the silver medal at the London Olympics," an official from the chief minister`s office said.
Kumar called on Dikshit at her 3 Motilal Nehru residence.
The Delhi government has already announced a cash reward of Rs 2 crore to Kumar who hails from Delhi.
The official said the award will be presented to Kumar at a function soon.
Earlier, Dikshit had announced an award of Rs 1 crore immediately after Kumar won the Olympic silver medal in the 66kg freestyle wrestling event but later the Cabinet doubled the award money.
Kumar etched his name in the country`s sports history by becoming the first ever sportsperson to win back-to-back individual Olympic medals, having won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Wrestling and shooting provided India two medals each, while women boxing and badminton added one medal each in the London Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan