Madrid: The Spanish tennis federation said on Sunday that they will offer a contract renewal to Davis Cup captain Carlos Moya, despite the former world number one announcing his intention to step down.
Without 14-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal and world number seven David Ferrer, the five-time Davis Cup winners were relegated from the World Group for the first time in 18 years last week after losing 3-1 to Brazil in Sao Paulo.
"I do not know what the tennis federation has planned, but my head is telling me not to continue," Moya told Spanish newspaper El Pais on Thursday.
However, after an extraordinary meeting on Sunday, federation president Jose Luis Escanuela said he hoped Moya would stay on.
"Moya has made us aware of the problem that has affected the Davis Cup team for some time and we want it to be him that lays the foundations for the new Spanish tennis team, giving him the same chance as previous captains to develop his project for a minimum of two years," he said in statement.
"Although Moya has already announced for family and personal reasons that he can`t continue, I hope to convince him to reconsider his decision."
Moya has previously voiced his frustration at not having the country`s top talent available for both their defeat to Germany early in the year before the latest embarrassment in Brazil.