Amla out, Steyn to undergo fitness test ahead of 2nd Test
Dubai: South Africa`s star batsman Hashim Amla was Tuesday ruled out of the second Test while paceman Dale Steyn will undergo a fitness test ahead of the second Test against Pakistan starting here on Wednesday.
Amla, 30, last week returned home to be with his wife for the birth of couple`s second child.
South Africa`s team manager Mohammed Mossajee said Amla will not be available for the match while Steyn will undergo a fitness test after suffering a hamstring injury on Sunday.
"Unfortunately Hashim`s wife hasn`t given birth yet so he won`t be playing the second Test," said Moosaje of Amla who hit 118 in the seven-wicket defeat in the first Test in Abu Dhabi last week.
The 30-year old Amla is ranked world number one in Test rankings.
Moosajee said scans on Steyn`s injury were not serious.
"Initially we thought it was a strain but fortunately the MRI scans revealed that there is no major pathology but he has to undergo a fitness test, which takes place either Tuesday or early Wednesday.
"The challenge is that a tight hamstring is aggravated in case it becomes a strain and we have a long tour ahead of us," said Moosajee.
"A final decision will be taken on Wednesday."
Steyn took four wickets in the first Test and is ranked number one bowler in Test rankings.
South Africa will also play five one-day and two Twenty20 after the Tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi