Baroda take upper hand against Saurashtra
Rajkot: Utkarsh Patel (3/46) and Murtuja Vahora (2/29) shared five wickets between them to help Baroda reduce Saurashtra to 215 for six after themselves posting 400 in their first innings on the second day of the Ranji Trophy Group B match here on Monday.
Saurashtra are still trailing by 185 runs with just four wicket remaining. Their last recognised batting pair -- Arpit Vasavada (batting 19) and all rounder Kamlesh Makwana (batting 6) -- were at the crease at close of play on day two here at the Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) stadium, Khandheri.
Saurashtra did not have an ideal start while replying to Baroda`s 400 in a crucial tie where both teams needed outright win to keep hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage.
Opening batsman Chirag Pathak and one down Sagar Jogiyani got out cheaply, making 12 and 14, respectively.
However, Bhushan Chauhan (49) and Sheldon Jackson (76) managed to resist the Baroda`s disciplined spin attack as the duo added 87 runs for the third wicket.
But just when it looked as if the pair has settled down, Chauhan was trapped lbw after he faced 135 balls with seven hits to the fence.
Baroda`s spinners did not allow Jaydev Shah (29) and Chirag Jani (0) to settle down.
For Baroda, Utkarsh was the most successful bowler with three wickets and he was well supported by Vahora.
Earlier, resuming at overnight 348 for five, Baroda could add only 52 runs losing five wickets in 14.4 overs in the morning.
Skipper Yusuf Pathan remained unbeaten on 68 off 87 balls with the help of seven fours and two sixes, but rest of the batsmen failed to reach even the double-digit mark.
For Saurashtra, Jaydev Unadkat was the pick of the bowlers with figures of three for 58, while Chirag Jani and Dharmendra Jadeja took two wickets each.
Baroda 2st innings: 400 all out (Saurabh Wakaskar 128, Aditya Waghmode 94, Yusuf Pathan not out 68; Jaydev Unadkat 3/58, Chirag Jani 2/44).
Saurashtra 1st innings: 215 for six in 73 overs (Sheldon Jackson 76, Bhushan Chauhan 49; Utkarsh Patel 3/46, Murtua Vahora 2/29).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Army, CRPF squabble over who killed Pampore terrorists
- This smartphone app can help you avoid unplanned pregnancy!
- Taiwan 'to test-fire missiles in US' as China tensions rise
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails