Hanif Mohammad recovering well from liver cancer, says Mushtaq
Karachi: Legendary Pakistan batsman and former captain Hanif Muhammad is recovering well from liver cancer after undergoing a successful surgery in London, brother and former Test cricker Mushtaq Muhammad confirmed.
Mushtaq informed PTI that 78-year-old Hanif underwent a surgery at the Bridge Hospital last Tuesday to remove his right liver lobe and gall bladder to stop the cancer from spreading.
"Hanif bhai is doing well and is in high spirits and he has been following the Ashes test on television after being shifted to his room after ICU," he said.
The 78-year old Mushtaq said had had a successful operation according to his surgeons.
"The good news is that the cancer was diagnosed at an early stage and didn`t spread anywhere else."
Mushtaq said the former captain was under observation in hospital but in good spirits surrounded by his family members including his daughter and youngest son Shahzeb Muhammad.
Hanif is revered as one of Pakistan`s greatest batsman after he played the longest innings in Test history -- a mammoth 970-minute (16 hours and 10 minutes), 337 against the West Indies at Bridgetown in 1958.
A year later he followed it up with a record first-class score of 499, for Karachi against Bhawalpur in Karachi in which he broke Don Bradman`s record of 452 runs.
Hanif`s 449 remained a record for 34 years until West Indies star Brian Lara made 501 not out for Warwickshire against Durham in 1994. Mushtaq who also captained Pakistan said his elder brother had been advised rest for atelast a month.
"He now spends most of his time watching cricket. It is still his passion," Mushtaq said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth