Hanif Mohammad recovering well from liver cancer, says Mushtaq
Karachi: Legendary Pakistan batsman and former captain Hanif Muhammad is recovering well from liver cancer after undergoing a successful surgery in London, brother and former Test cricker Mushtaq Muhammad confirmed.
Mushtaq informed PTI that 78-year-old Hanif underwent a surgery at the Bridge Hospital last Tuesday to remove his right liver lobe and gall bladder to stop the cancer from spreading.
"Hanif bhai is doing well and is in high spirits and he has been following the Ashes test on television after being shifted to his room after ICU," he said.
The 78-year old Mushtaq said had had a successful operation according to his surgeons.
"The good news is that the cancer was diagnosed at an early stage and didn`t spread anywhere else."
Mushtaq said the former captain was under observation in hospital but in good spirits surrounded by his family members including his daughter and youngest son Shahzeb Muhammad.
Hanif is revered as one of Pakistan`s greatest batsman after he played the longest innings in Test history -- a mammoth 970-minute (16 hours and 10 minutes), 337 against the West Indies at Bridgetown in 1958.
A year later he followed it up with a record first-class score of 499, for Karachi against Bhawalpur in Karachi in which he broke Don Bradman`s record of 452 runs.
Hanif`s 449 remained a record for 34 years until West Indies star Brian Lara made 501 not out for Warwickshire against Durham in 1994. Mushtaq who also captained Pakistan said his elder brother had been advised rest for atelast a month.
"He now spends most of his time watching cricket. It is still his passion," Mushtaq said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves