Consistency is Indian hockey team`s problem: Jamie Dwyer
New Delhi: Australian ace Jamie Dwyer was forthright in his assessment about the current India hockey team terming Sardar Singh and Co as an "inconsistent" bunch, who will have to depend a lot on ace drag-flicker Rupinder Pal Singh and comeback man Gurbaj Singh.
"Indian team keeps on improving but so does every other team in the world of hockey. They are not far off the best teams in the world but their consistency is still a problem, I feel. We will soon find out how good or bad they are," Dwyer said during an interaction today.
On the duo of Gurbaj and Rupinder Pal, Dwyer, who has a whopping 150 strikes from 250 internationals said,"Gurbaj had a great HIL and so did Rupinder Pal. I expect these two guys will perform well for the Indian team."
Dwyer hit the nail on its head when he stated that India needs to step up on their twin problems --- conversion of penalty corners and being good defensively which includes saving the drag-flicks.
"I think any team that wants to perform well at the World Cup must be good defensively. As far as India is concerned they also need to have a very good penalty corner attack and defence," he said.
India have been clubbed with defending champions Australia, England, Belgium, Spain and Malaysia in Pool A of the World Cup to be played at The Hague from May 31-June 15.
India will square off with Australia on June 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!