Hockey WC: Dutch set up semis with England, Argentina take on Australia
The Hague (The Netherlands): Olympic silver medallist The Netherlands have set up a semifinal encounter with England in the men`s hockey World Cup here.
The Netherlands played out a 1-1 draw with New Zealand in their last league fixture but still topped Group B with 13 points from five outings. Argentina, who earned their maiden men`s World Cup semifinals with a 5-1 drubbing of South Africa, finished second in the group with 12 points, ousting reigning Olympic champions Germany from the semifinal race.
In the semifinals, three-time champions The Netherlands will take on England, while Argentina will meet defending champions Australia on Friday. Velantin Verga gave Netherlands the lead against New Zealand with an opportunistic strike in the eighth minute, but the Dutch did not put too much energy into the game thereafter. They wanted to avoid any injuries ahead of the semifinals.
New Zealand striker Simon Childs weaved his way past three defenders to sent a firm shot past goalkeeper Jaap Stockmann for the equaliser seven minute from the hooter. Germany, having failed to make the semifinals for only the second time in World Cup history, hammered South Korea 6-1 in their last league fixture.
Germany finished with nine points and paid the penalty for suffering identical 1-0 defeat by The Netherlands and Argentina.
The only previous occasion that the Germans were not in the semifinals was in the inaugural World Cup in 1971 when Kenya made the semifinals at the expense of West Germany. Argentina`s previous best finish in the men`s World Cup was the sixth position they got in the 1986 and 2002 World Cups.
Argentina, placed No. 11 in the world rankings, continued their robust game to seal their first-ever semifinal with Gonzago Peillat and Lucas Vila scoring two goals each after Joaquin Menini opened the scoring in the 20th minute. South Africa`s lone goal came from Clinton Panther, but Argentina had by then done enough to secure entry in the semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Mauritius to remain major FDI source till March 2019: Experts
- Abhinav Bindra to head NRAI review committee on Rio debacle
- Now, WhatsApp to share your phone number with Facebook
- SHOCKING: Man performing stunt on high tension wire at Mumbai's Mira road station – Watch
- Bank of Baroda's total business takes Rs 90,000-crore hit in 2015-16