‘Hurt’ Finn warns doubters to write off England during India tour at own peril
London: England fast bowler Steve Finn has said the players were pained after they were whitewashed 5-0 by India in the one-day series on their home turf, and warned doubters to write off the young team at their own peril.
It has been almost 30 years since England last won a Test series there, and in that time has just one lone Test victory against India, in 2006, to their name.
Finn believes the England team has a point to prove to their doubters, and the players would give more than their best to be able to do so.
“We’ve a massive point to prove. We have to prove to the general public, to the people who comment on the game and to people within the game,” the Daily Mirror quoted Finn, as saying.
“We’ve done a lot of work since we played Pakistan in Dubai last year, as a unit and as a team, developing skills we will need in the subcontinent – playing against spin, using old balls on wickets that aren’t doing much,” he added.
“We have done a lot of work to refine our game to become better in the subcontinent and hopefully that will bear fruit on this tour,” he said.
Finn added: “The way they targeted us in that one-day series was a revenge series. Every billboard you saw around India was, ‘Revenge, we are coming to get you’.”
“People are writing us off already but write us off at your peril. We have been written off before and came back and proved them wrong. England haven’t won there for 27 years, so as a young team with a new young captain it will be exciting to go there and try to break records and prove people wrong,” he further said.
“We have the pain from the one-day series we lost their last year and we have the good experience of beating them in 2011. I think a culmination of the two should spur us on to win this series,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray