India finish third in Women`s T20 tournament
Aldershot (England): India women`s team skipper Jhulan Goswami led from the front with an all-round performance to help her team beat New Zealand women by three
wickets to finish third in the NatWest Women`s T20 Quadrangular Series.
In the third place playoff match, Goswami struck a quickfire 33 off 28 balls, besides claiming a wicket as India achieved the target of 96 with a ball to spare, after New Zealand had decided to bat first.
Chasing a meager target, India made a disastrous start before Goswami walked into the middle with the scorecard reading 47 for four to rescue her side.
But for Goswami`s performance, India would have lost the match as the other batters failed to make notable contributions. The skipper was awarded the Player of the Match for her valuable knock, which included two boundaries.
Only two other Indian players reached the double figures -- Veda Krishnamurthy (15) and Harmanpreet Kaur (14).
Earlier, Indian bowlers dished out a disciplined performance as they restricted New Zealand to a low total at the Officers Club Services Ground here.
Medium pacer Amita Sharma returned impressive figures of two for 11, while Goswami, Snehal Pradhan and Priyanka Roy claimed a wicket each.
For New Zealand, Amy Satterthwaite top-scored with 35 off 44 balls, while medium pacer Kelly Anderson and off-spinner Aimee Watkins picked up three and two wickets, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA