Mark Waugh calls for selectors to show patience
London: Former Australian cricketer Mark Waugh has said that continuity is the key to break Australia`s losing habit, and called for selectors to show a bit of patience.
According to Metro.co.uk, Waugh believed that the only change Australia would make for the final Test would be Phillip Hughes coming in at No.3 for Usman Khawaja, instead of which Shane Watson has been moved up to three to accommodate James Faulkner, at No.6, and Mitchell Starc, with Khawaja and Jackson Bird making way.
Stating that the selectors needed to refrain from too much chopping and changing the team like they had done this year, Waugh said that continuous changing leads to instability and unease in the squad and undermines their chances of winning, adding that had he been in the selectors` place, he would have given Khawaja one more Test to play.
According to Waugh, Australia has got into a rut of getting beaten this year, with seven of their last eight Tests lost, which needs to be broken, adding that it is down to individuals to help the team in this matter.
However, Waugh admitted that it is a difficult balance for the selectors if the team is caught in a vicious circle of losing virtually every game and that they cannot give many chances to a constantly underperforming player, although he added that playing cricket at international level is tough as a player has to perform under huge pressure.
Waugh also said that Australia would be desperate to win the final Test as they are aware that it will make a big difference in the return series later this year, adding that he felt that a 3-1 series defeat would actually be a good result for Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1
- Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' teaser to be out on her birthday?