NZ Test openers pull out of practice game against India
Hamilton: Openers Hamish Rutherford and Peter Fulton have pulled out of the two-day practice game between New Zealand XI and the visiting Indians ahead of the two-match Test series next month.
The practice game will be played at Whangarei on February 2-3 before the Test series begins on February 6 in Auckland.
Fulton and Rutherford decided to pull out in favour of playing for their provinces in the Plunket Shield, New Zealand`s domestic first class championships, a media report said.
Canterbury`s George Worker has been called in as one replacement, with New Zealand Cricket`s general manager national selection Bruce Edgar saying that the other would need to first pass a fitness test.
According to the `Fairfax NZ News` report, Edgar said Fulton and Rutherford must have felt that it would be better to play in their domestic first class championships as the two-day practice game against India would be just a one-innings affair and thus would lack intensity.
"This match (Feb 2-3 practice game), because it`s a non-first class game and pretty much a practice game, will be a single-innings affair," said Edgar.
"On reflection, Peter Fulton and also Hamish Rutherford are now going to play Plunket Shield because they certainly have a chance to maybe get two innings instead of one."
Talking particularly about Fulton, he said, "He (Fulton) also played in the New Zealand XI game against the West Indies (at Lincoln in November) and felt, perhaps, the intensity wasn`t quite there."
In that practice match, a handful of West Indian players were joined by New Zealand provincial players to make up 11 players. The bulk of the West Indian squad were still touring India at that time in Sachin Tendulkar`s farewell Test series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people