Oz fan arrested for smuggling pig `disguised` as baby into Gabba
Johannesburg: A 33-year-old Australian has been charged with animal cruelty, after he smuggled a live pig into the Gabba, the venue of the first Ashes cricket Test.
According to a website, security guards spotted the animal wrapped in a towel and transported in a baby harness during the first day`s play between England and Australia, on Thursday.
The pig`s snout was taped shut so it couldn`t squeal, the report said.
The RSPCA animal charity was handed custody of the distressed pig, called Ash and weighing 10-12 kilograms (22-26 pounds), the report added.
Police would not speculate on whether the pig was destined for release onto the playing field, the report further said.
Ash was destined to run onto the Gabba field, three decades after a pig was famously smuggled in and freed with the names Botham and Eddie painted on its sides, according to the report.
The newspaper speculated if Ash had Stuart Broad`s name written on it as the English fast bowler has been vilified in Australia for not walking during the recent Ashes series in England, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued