Oz media advises Clarke to move back to No.5 batting spot to regain `superman` tag
Sydney: The Australian media has advised captain Michael Clarke to move back to number five batting position, if Australia is to have any hope of competing with England after yet another inept batting performance at the Gabba, on the opening day of the first Ashes Test.
Clarke`s dismissal for just one at the Gabba, fending a Stuart Broad short ball to short leg, has reinforced, why Australia`s only world-class player is wasted batting any higher.
According to a Website, Clarke should bat where he performs best, instead of batting up the order just because he is the best batsman in Australia, adding that Clarke is `superman` when he bats at five as he averages 64 and has scored 20 of his 24 centuries in that spot.
In contrast, the report said that when Clarke bats at four, he is far from holding the `best batsman` tag as he averaged under 25 in that spot and it was under 22 until he scored 187 in the washed out third Test at Old Trafford on a flat pitch, further adding that he has reached 50 just five times and that too only once in every seven or eight innings in the spot.
The report also said that five, Clarke has reached half-century 39 times, once every two or three innings, adding that exposing the captain to a relatively new ball, which he does not play well, is wasting Australia`s most precious asset.
The report also said that it is better to sacrifice any other player to the unplayable ball than Clarke, adding that even if it takes a major reshuffling of the batting order, Clarke should be brought back to number five, which is his perfect position in the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok