Pranab to talk to Pawar over Eden impasse
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said that he would speak to ICC president Sharad Pawar about the impasse over holding the India-England World Cup cricket match at the Eden Gardens here.
"(Cricket Association of Bengal) president Jagmohan Dalmiya came to me yesterday. I had a talk with him. I am not familiar with the matter so much. I will, however, talk to Sharad Pawar," Mukherjee told reporters here.
"Any problem about holding the match will have to be resolved by them," Mukherjee said without elaborating.
Dalmiya, after a meeting with his CAB colleagues, headed straight to Mukherjee`s residence yesterday, but had declined to talk to the media.
On Thursday, the ICC ruled out Kolkata as a host venue after its inspection team deemed the Eden Gardens unprepared and expressed concerns about various facilities in the stadium being ready in time for the February 27 game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- 'FIR' actor Suresh Chatwal no more, co-star Kavita Kaushik expresses grief
- Virat Kohli fails to breach 1000-run barrier but breaks Suresh Raina's IPL batting record
- Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose lived as KK Bhandari in 1960s?
- AIB's Tanmay Bhat blasted on Twitter for mocking Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar | WATCH his controversial video
- Sex machines - the future of `clean` prostitution?