Pranab to talk to Pawar over Eden impasse
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said that he would speak to ICC president Sharad Pawar about the impasse over holding the India-England World Cup cricket match at the Eden Gardens here.
"(Cricket Association of Bengal) president Jagmohan Dalmiya came to me yesterday. I had a talk with him. I am not familiar with the matter so much. I will, however, talk to Sharad Pawar," Mukherjee told reporters here.
"Any problem about holding the match will have to be resolved by them," Mukherjee said without elaborating.
Dalmiya, after a meeting with his CAB colleagues, headed straight to Mukherjee`s residence yesterday, but had declined to talk to the media.
On Thursday, the ICC ruled out Kolkata as a host venue after its inspection team deemed the Eden Gardens unprepared and expressed concerns about various facilities in the stadium being ready in time for the February 27 game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bangladesh upholds death sentence for top Islamist
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy
- After Rio disappointment, Yogeshwar Dutt receives boost with London 2012 medal upgrade
- First look: Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' posters will leave you intrigued – View inside
- Facebook promoted fake news story on Trending Topics