Pujara is ICC`s Emerging Cricketer of the Year
Dubai: Rising Test batsman Cheteshwar Pujara bagged the `Emerging Cricketer of the Year` trophy as India had to be content with just two winners in the ICC Annual awards announced on Friday in which Australian captain Michael Clarke clinched the top honours.
"Australia captain Michael Clarke was today announced as the winner of the Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year and was also named as the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year," the ICC said in a statement.
The announcement was made ahead of the broadcast of the Awards TV show which premieres tomorrow in most countries across the globe.
"The show is hosted by former Australia captain Ricky Ponting who won the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy in 2006 and 2007, ICC Test Cricketer of the Year in 2006 and was appointed captain of ICC`s ODI Team of the Year in 2007, 2008 and 2010," the ICC stated.
Clarke was earlier named in the ICC Test and ODI Teams of the Year in Mumbai on December 3. In the same event, India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was revealed as the LG People`s Choice award winner.
Clarke has been joined on the winners` list by Sri Lanka`s Kumar Sangakkara, who was named ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year, and Pujara, who claimed his first-ever ICC award.
Pujara became the second fastest Indian to get to 1000 Test runs, during the course of his double hundred against Australia in March at Hyderabad, where he put on a 370-run record second wicket partnership with Murali Vijay.
The 25-year-old Pujara has 1310 runs in 15 Tests at an average of 65.50.
"Also joining Pujara on the winners list for the first time are New Zealand captain Suzie Bates, who won the ICC Women`s ODI Cricketer of the Year award, Pakistan fast bowler Umar Gul, whose five for six against South Africa won him the ICC T20I Performance of the Year award, Ireland`s Kevin O`Brien, who won the Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year award, and Richard Kettleborough of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires, who won the David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year."
England`s Sarah Taylor clinched the ICC Women`s T20I Cricketer of the Year award for the second year in a row, while Sri Lanka`s Mahela Jayawardena won his second ICC Spirit of Cricket award, this time for walking without waiting for an umpire`s decision when batting on 91 against New Zealand in Galle in November 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490