Root doubtful for World T20 with thumb injury
England batsman Joe Root is a major doubt for the World Twenty20 tournament this month after fracturing his thumb during England`s one-day series clincher in the West Indies.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said Root was returning home from the Caribbean.
"Joe Root has a fractured thumb and is returning home to see a specialist," the ECB said on Twitter. "Ruled out of West Indies T20`s, World T20 decision not made yet."
The World Twenty20 begins in Bangladesh on March 16.
England`s first match is against New Zealand on March 22 followed by games against Sri Lanka, South Africa and one of the minor nations.
Root played all three one-dayers against West Indies, scoring his first international limited-overs century in the final match to help England clinch the series 2-1 despite being struck on the thumb by a delivery from Ravi Rampaul early in his knock.
England are scheduled to play three Twenty20 internationals against West Indies starting on Sunday in Barbados.
West Indies have recalled hard-hitting opening batsman Chris Gayle for the T20 series after he missed the one-dayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh chairs high-level meeting in Kashmir
- India, Bangladesh border forces discuss issues in Tripura
- Four hospitals hit by air raids in Syria's Aleppo: Doctors