Root doubtful for World T20 with thumb injury
England batsman Joe Root is a major doubt for the World Twenty20 tournament this month after fracturing his thumb during England`s one-day series clincher in the West Indies.
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said Root was returning home from the Caribbean.
"Joe Root has a fractured thumb and is returning home to see a specialist," the ECB said on Twitter. "Ruled out of West Indies T20`s, World T20 decision not made yet."
The World Twenty20 begins in Bangladesh on March 16.
England`s first match is against New Zealand on March 22 followed by games against Sri Lanka, South Africa and one of the minor nations.
Root played all three one-dayers against West Indies, scoring his first international limited-overs century in the final match to help England clinch the series 2-1 despite being struck on the thumb by a delivery from Ravi Rampaul early in his knock.
England are scheduled to play three Twenty20 internationals against West Indies starting on Sunday in Barbados.
West Indies have recalled hard-hitting opening batsman Chris Gayle for the T20 series after he missed the one-dayers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Bihar polls: Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Monsoon likely to hit Kerala next week; heatwave death toll climbs to 2,005