VVS Laxman conferred with Padma Shri
New Delhi: The long list of achievements of India’s prolific middle order batsman VVS Laxman was studded with another jewel on Tuesday after he was conferred with the Padma Shri.
Padma Shri is the fourth highest civilian award in India, after the Bharat Ratna, the Padma Vibhushan and the Padma Bhushan.
Laxman, who has scored more than 10000 runs in international cricket, has been one of the main stays of the Indian batting line-up for over a decade.
Besides Laxman and Sushil, the other five conferred with the civilian award were weightlifter Kunjarani Devi, shooter Gagan Narang, discus thrower Krishna Poonia, para jumper Shital Mahajan and mountaineer Harbhajan Singh.
The wristy batsman played a major part in helping India draw their first ever Test series in South Africa recently.
According to reports, wrestler Sushil Kumar, shooter Gagan Narang and athlete Krishna Poonia have also been given the Padma Shri for their phenomenal achievements in the field of sports during the past year.
Last year the list of recipients of the Padma Shri included opening batsman Virender Sehwag’s name.
Cinestars Tabu, Kajol and Irrfan Khan, singer Usha Uthup, sportspersons Krishna Poonia and Gangan Narang are among 84 personalities awarded Padma Shri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?