`Emotional` Federer to honour Rod Laver at charity event
Sydney: Roger Federer is keeping mum about Rod Laver`s specific involvement in his big night out at Melbourne Park next month to mark the 10th anniversary of his charity foundation and first Australian Open triumph, according to reports.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the 17-times grand slam champion will commandeer Rod Laver Arena on January 8, taking on charismatic Frenchman and Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in what promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime tennis and entertainment event.
Federer has shared several emotional moments with Laver at the very same venue over the years and said it was only fitting to pay tribute to his idol on such a special evening, the report added.
With the Swiss superstar`s mother from South Africa, he also decided to assist impoverished children in southern Africa, chiefly providing education for youngsters between three and 12, the report said.
A decade on and Federer says his foundation now helps more than 80,000 children a year, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31