`Emotional` Federer to honour Rod Laver at charity event
Sydney: Roger Federer is keeping mum about Rod Laver`s specific involvement in his big night out at Melbourne Park next month to mark the 10th anniversary of his charity foundation and first Australian Open triumph, according to reports.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the 17-times grand slam champion will commandeer Rod Laver Arena on January 8, taking on charismatic Frenchman and Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in what promises to be a once-in-a-lifetime tennis and entertainment event.
Federer has shared several emotional moments with Laver at the very same venue over the years and said it was only fitting to pay tribute to his idol on such a special evening, the report added.
With the Swiss superstar`s mother from South Africa, he also decided to assist impoverished children in southern Africa, chiefly providing education for youngsters between three and 12, the report said.
A decade on and Federer says his foundation now helps more than 80,000 children a year, the report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'