`Wild card` Berdych enters third final of season in Portugal Open
Johannesburg: Czech top-seed Tomas Berdych has entered the final of the Portugal Open and will compete in his third final of the season after Rotterdam and Dubai.
World number six Berdych lived up to his billing with a 6-2, 6-2 hammering of Romanian Victor Hanescu in just 72 minutes in a straightforward effort which put him into a 22nd career final and bidding for his ninth trophy.
According to Sport24, the victory also gives Berdych a 2-0 lead in the series after defeating Hanescu in the Wimbledon second round six years ago, which denied the Romanian his 200th career victory on the ATP.
Berdych, playing on a wild card, will next meet Argentine Carlos Berlocq , who beat Spanish qualifier Daniel Gimeno-Traver 7-6 (8/6), 6-2 to enter in only the third final of his career (1-1).
Berdych, who is playing Portugal for the first time since 2005, when he lost in the opening round as a teenager, holds a comfortable 3-0 margin over Berlocq and has beaten the South American twice on clay, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video