2 Indian doubles pairs granted wild cards
Chennai: Indian tennis players, including Vishnu Vardhan and Sanam Singh, have been granted wild card entries into the doubles draw of the Chennai Open, the organisers announced here on Friday.
While Vishnu will be joining hands with Sanam, Tamil Nadu duo of N Sriram Balaji and Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan will form a team for the USD 430,000 tournament to be held from December 31 to January 6.
Both Vishnu and Sanam have played singles as well as doubles matches for India against New Zealand in the Davis Cup. The former has also played in the London Olympics with Paes and paired up with Sania Mirza for the mixed doubles.
The 24-year-old Sanam is a gold medallist in the Asian Games, 2012.
Balaji-Nedunchezhiyan pair has improved their rankings substantially in 2012 and if they continue to perform well, the pair could break into the top 200 in 2013.
The organisers had earlier announced that the country`s top doubles specialist players, Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi, and Rohan Bopanna will be participating in the season-opener.
With the inclusion of four more Indian players, the doubles section will see a strong contingent from the country battle for the title.
Bhupathi will be teaming up with World No.5 doubles player Canada`s Daniel Nestor, while World No. 12 Bopanna will partner US-based Rajeev Ram, and World No. 3 Paes will take to the court with new partner Edouard Roger Vasselin of France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!