Age irrelevant for Tsonga: Coach
London: French tennis player Jo-Wilfried Tsonga`s coach Roger Rasheed believes that there is a lot more left in his protege despite his rising age.
“I know he`s a 28 years old but I think the age of Jo is very irrelevant purely because he missed three years of tennis, [at] 19, 20, 21. He played five weeks each of those years. I think the number near his name is not really the number as far as tennis schooling goes. So he`s a 24-25 years old in my mind as a schooled tennis player,” Rasheed told the press at the Aegon Championships here Saturday.
Tsonga grabbed the tennis world`s attention when he reached the final of the Australian Open in 2008.
The Australian coach explained that he is focusing more on fine-tuning the World No.7`s shot-making, rather than making any drastic changes to his game.
“He plays very natural with a lot of flair and now we`re just sort of shoring up his weapons. I`m just giving him a little more security in certain areas or just some understanding of a few different ways to go about his business at times," Rasheed said.
Tsonga entered the grass season at the Queen’s Club on the back of reaching his first semi-final at Roland Garros this year where he lost to Spaniard David Ferrer.
“I asked him about that when we first started about how he deals with losses and he`s pretty good. He will reflect on it but he will move on," said the 44-year-old.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump