Aggression powered me past Errani: Sharapova
Istanbul: Aggression powered Maria Sharapova to victory over Italy`s Sara Errani in her opening match at the $4.9 million WTA championships here, the Russian said.
In a repeat of their only previous meeting in June`s French Open final, Sharapova emerged victorious by a score of 6-3, 6-2 against Errani Tuesday.
Cautious play allowed Errani to control the start of the match, when the first four games all went with serve, Sharapova said.
"It was a slow start. I gave Sara a lot of time, and that`s what she likes," the world No.2 said on the WTA website.
"I think the points were going a bit too long. I just tried to step in and be more aggressive after that, and it really helped me."
World No.7 Errani said she had "played a good match" but that Sharapova had been too strong for her.
Sharapova plays fourth-ranked Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland in her next match, part of the round robin stage that sees the eight players split into two groups of four.
The other player in Sharapova`s White Group is Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic, who was beaten 2-6, 2-6 by Radwanska.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video