Agnieszka Radwanska slams Sharapova’s ‘annoying’ in-court screams
Melbourne: Agnieszka Radwanska has called Maria Sharapova’s incessant shrieking “annoying”.
Radwanska, who has been beaten for a semi-final spot at the Australian Open by Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, said that the Russian’s ear-splitting screams were intolerable.
Azarenka has been criticised widely, along with Sharapova, as one of the players who grunt too much while playing every shot.
But she said after beating Radwanska, she was used to the comments.
While the Polish player said she could put up with Azarenka, Sharapova’s noise was over the top.
“To be honest, I’m kind of used to it, you know, especially with Vika,” the Herald Sun quoted Radwanska as saying.
“We know each other for many years.”
But she said triple Grand Slam champion Sharapova went too far and was distracting to play.
“About Maria, I mean, what can I say? For sure, that is pretty annoying and it’s just too loud,” Radwanska said.
Asked if the Women’s Tennis Association should address the issue, Radwanska said, “Yes”.
She said noise should be allowed but there should be limits in place.
“Well, you know, I mean, of course everybody can make some noise.
“This is tennis. It’s really hard work out there.
“But I think, you know, it’s just too loud.
“I don’t think it’s very necessary to scream that loud.
“So if they want to do something, why not?”
Radwanska said that apart from putting off opposition players, loud screaming was unattractive for fans, who have consistently jeered some of the female players at this tournament.
“I don’t think this is very nice to watch, you know, those kind of players that scream so much all the time.
“So that’s why I think the WTA wants to change something,” she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata