Agnieszka Radwanska slams Sharapova’s ‘annoying’ in-court screams
Melbourne: Agnieszka Radwanska has called Maria Sharapova’s incessant shrieking “annoying”.
Radwanska, who has been beaten for a semi-final spot at the Australian Open by Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, said that the Russian’s ear-splitting screams were intolerable.
Azarenka has been criticised widely, along with Sharapova, as one of the players who grunt too much while playing every shot.
But she said after beating Radwanska, she was used to the comments.
While the Polish player said she could put up with Azarenka, Sharapova’s noise was over the top.
“To be honest, I’m kind of used to it, you know, especially with Vika,” the Herald Sun quoted Radwanska as saying.
“We know each other for many years.”
But she said triple Grand Slam champion Sharapova went too far and was distracting to play.
“About Maria, I mean, what can I say? For sure, that is pretty annoying and it’s just too loud,” Radwanska said.
Asked if the Women’s Tennis Association should address the issue, Radwanska said, “Yes”.
She said noise should be allowed but there should be limits in place.
“Well, you know, I mean, of course everybody can make some noise.
“This is tennis. It’s really hard work out there.
“But I think, you know, it’s just too loud.
“I don’t think it’s very necessary to scream that loud.
“So if they want to do something, why not?”
Radwanska said that apart from putting off opposition players, loud screaming was unattractive for fans, who have consistently jeered some of the female players at this tournament.
“I don’t think this is very nice to watch, you know, those kind of players that scream so much all the time.
“So that’s why I think the WTA wants to change something,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’