Agnieszka Radwanska slams Sharapova’s ‘annoying’ in-court screams
Melbourne: Agnieszka Radwanska has called Maria Sharapova’s incessant shrieking “annoying”.
Radwanska, who has been beaten for a semi-final spot at the Australian Open by Belarusian Victoria Azarenka, said that the Russian’s ear-splitting screams were intolerable.
Azarenka has been criticised widely, along with Sharapova, as one of the players who grunt too much while playing every shot.
But she said after beating Radwanska, she was used to the comments.
While the Polish player said she could put up with Azarenka, Sharapova’s noise was over the top.
“To be honest, I’m kind of used to it, you know, especially with Vika,” the Herald Sun quoted Radwanska as saying.
“We know each other for many years.”
But she said triple Grand Slam champion Sharapova went too far and was distracting to play.
“About Maria, I mean, what can I say? For sure, that is pretty annoying and it’s just too loud,” Radwanska said.
Asked if the Women’s Tennis Association should address the issue, Radwanska said, “Yes”.
She said noise should be allowed but there should be limits in place.
“Well, you know, I mean, of course everybody can make some noise.
“This is tennis. It’s really hard work out there.
“But I think, you know, it’s just too loud.
“I don’t think it’s very necessary to scream that loud.
“So if they want to do something, why not?”
Radwanska said that apart from putting off opposition players, loud screaming was unattractive for fans, who have consistently jeered some of the female players at this tournament.
“I don’t think this is very nice to watch, you know, those kind of players that scream so much all the time.
“So that’s why I think the WTA wants to change something,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway