AITA nominates Somdev for Khel Ratna award
New Delhi: Somdev Devvarman might have led a players` rebellion against the national tennis federation but AITA has recommended his name for the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award for the year 2013.
Somdev has achieved some great results on the ATP tour as well as in the multi-discipline games for India after turning a pro. He won the singles gold in 2010 Commonwealth Games and gold in both singles and doubles in the Guangzhou Asian Games the same year.
Early this year, through a rebellion he forced AITA to improve playing conditions with regard to the Davis Cup.
He also formed a players association (ITPA) along with veterans Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi. His best result on the Tour remains the final appearance in the 2009 Chennai Open.
He reached a career-high rank of 62 in July 2011 but a shoulder injury coupled with poor form led to a slide in the ranking table. He was out of action for about eight months after undergoing a shoulder surgery last January.
Apart from Somdev, the AITA has recommended the name of yesteryears` star Vijay Amritraj for the Dhyan Chand Award.
Vijay, along with his brother, had reached the Wimbledon semifinals in 1976.
Current Davis Cup coach Zeeshan Ali has been recommended for Arjuna Award along with veteran player Rushmi Chakravarthi.
Nandan Bal, whom Zeeshan replaced as Davis Cup coach, has been recommended for the Dronacharya Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees