AITA selects depleted team for Davis Cup
New Delhi: The All India Tennis Association was on Friday forced to pick a depleted squad for the Davis Cup tie against South Korea, snubbing the eight revolting players who refused to make themselves available.
The revolting players were given time till today to confirm their availability for the tie to be held here on February 1 to 3 but none of them budged from their stand.
The AITA's selection committee, which met here today, picked the squad which has only one senior player in Leander Paes.
V M Ranjit (517), Vijayant Malik (542) and Purav Raja (155 in doubles) were the other members of the squad.
S P Misra will be the non-playing captain while Zeeshan Ali will be the coach.
The revolting players wanted Misra to be replaced as the non-playing captain and also wanted a new coach apart from other demands such as a larger share in the prize money and air travel upgradation.
Selection Committee Chairman Anil Dhupar announced the team in a packed press conference where senior AITA officials explained the Association's stand and described the players' boycott as "unfair and unjustified".
The AITA officials claimed that the Indian players were offered the best remuneration in the entire Asian region and gave the break-ups of some of the senior players' financial packages to back their claim.
In India's most recent Davis Cup tie, the team had beaten New Zealand 5-0 with young players such as Yuki Bhambri, Vishnu Vardhan, Divij Sharan and Sanam Singh in the absence of star like Somdev Devvarman, Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details