AITA to decide team for CWG, Davis Cup on Aug 13
New Delhi: The All India Tennis Association will announce the team for the October Commonwealth Games and next month’s Davis Cup tie against Brazil after a meeting of its selection committee here on August 13.
“The Selection Committee and the Executive Committee of AITA will meet on August 13 to decide on the teams for the Davis Cup tie against Brazil, the Commonwealth Games team and probables for the Asian Games,” AITA said in a statement.
India will face Brazil in a World Group play off tie in Chennai from September 17 to 19.
Apart from the selection of the teams, AITA’s executive committee will also discuss the government’s tenure and age limitation guidelines for National Sports Federations.
The guidelines have created quite a furore with the Indian Olympic Association saying that the government’s diktat is an assault on its autonomy.
“The meeting will discuss the government guidelines in respect of NSFs and the IOA. Deliberations will also take place on the proposed International Olympic Committee Charter and the Constitution sent by the IOC to the IOA,” the AITA statement read.
The clash of dates between the Asian Games and the ATP World Tour finals in November will also be a part of the deliberations.
A Memorandum of Understanding that AITA signed with the Sports Ministry will also be discussed.
“The MoU signed by the AITA with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports regarding the legacy use of the tennis stadium for the purpose of sustenance and spreading the game of tennis to the young children will also be discussed,” the AITA said.
“Other issues for development of tennis will also be discussed. Special focus will be given to spreading tennis in government schools and to all districts of the country,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video