AITA to decide team for CWG, Davis Cup on Aug 13
New Delhi: The All India Tennis Association will announce the team for the October Commonwealth Games and next month’s Davis Cup tie against Brazil after a meeting of its selection committee here on August 13.
“The Selection Committee and the Executive Committee of AITA will meet on August 13 to decide on the teams for the Davis Cup tie against Brazil, the Commonwealth Games team and probables for the Asian Games,” AITA said in a statement.
India will face Brazil in a World Group play off tie in Chennai from September 17 to 19.
Apart from the selection of the teams, AITA’s executive committee will also discuss the government’s tenure and age limitation guidelines for National Sports Federations.
The guidelines have created quite a furore with the Indian Olympic Association saying that the government’s diktat is an assault on its autonomy.
“The meeting will discuss the government guidelines in respect of NSFs and the IOA. Deliberations will also take place on the proposed International Olympic Committee Charter and the Constitution sent by the IOC to the IOA,” the AITA statement read.
The clash of dates between the Asian Games and the ATP World Tour finals in November will also be a part of the deliberations.
A Memorandum of Understanding that AITA signed with the Sports Ministry will also be discussed.
“The MoU signed by the AITA with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports regarding the legacy use of the tennis stadium for the purpose of sustenance and spreading the game of tennis to the young children will also be discussed,” the AITA said.
“Other issues for development of tennis will also be discussed. Special focus will be given to spreading tennis in government schools and to all districts of the country,” it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report