Almagro wins Spanish battle against Verdasco
Paris: Nicolas Almagro pummelled fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco into submission at the French Open on Monday to set up a quarter-final showdown with Rafael Nadal.
The 24-year-old blasted away from the baseline with his sledgehammer forehand, advancing 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 in two hours and 12 minutes on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Seventh seed Verdasco looked jaded in his 43rd Tour match of the season and only during the second set did he offer much resistance against a player he beat here last year.
Almagro, who has matched his run to the last eight in 2008, sealed victory on his first match point when a Verdasco forehand landed fractionally beyond the baseline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert