Almagro wins Spanish battle against Verdasco
Paris: Nicolas Almagro pummelled fellow Spaniard Fernando Verdasco into submission at the French Open on Monday to set up a quarter-final showdown with Rafael Nadal.
The 24-year-old blasted away from the baseline with his sledgehammer forehand, advancing 6-1, 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 in two hours and 12 minutes on Court Suzanne Lenglen.
Seventh seed Verdasco looked jaded in his 43rd Tour match of the season and only during the second set did he offer much resistance against a player he beat here last year.
Almagro, who has matched his run to the last eight in 2008, sealed victory on his first match point when a Verdasco forehand landed fractionally beyond the baseline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Drug trafficker held in Manipur
- Kin seeks recall of transfer of officer probing Pansare case
- China to provide USD 1.5 million for Sri Lankan flood relief
- Islamic State advances against Syrian rebels near Turkish border - monitor
- Korean Air jet catches fire at Tokyo's Haneda airport, forcing evacuation