Amritraj makes a winning start at Newport
Newport: Prakash Amritraj began his campaign at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships with an easy straight sets win over Flavio Cipolla.
The US-based Indian wild scored a 6-2 6-3 win over his higher-ranked Italian opponent in the first round of the men`s singles.
The 308-ranked Amritraj, a runner up here in 2008, never faced a breakpoint in the contest and broke his rival twice in each set.
He next faces former world number one but now struggling Australian Lletton Hewitt, who is now ranked 64, in his second round match of the USD 455,775 grass court event.
Amritraj is featuring in the doubles event as well, pairing with American Sam Querrey. Their first round opponents are Ruben Bemelmans of Belgium and Michal Przysiezny of Poland.
Another Indian featuring in the doubles draw is Divij Sharan, who for this tournament has teamed up with big serving Croat Ivo Karlovic.
Their opener is against Ukrainian pair of Illya Marchenko and Denys Molchanov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it