Amritraj makes a winning start at Newport
Newport: Prakash Amritraj began his campaign at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships with an easy straight sets win over Flavio Cipolla.
The US-based Indian wild scored a 6-2 6-3 win over his higher-ranked Italian opponent in the first round of the men`s singles.
The 308-ranked Amritraj, a runner up here in 2008, never faced a breakpoint in the contest and broke his rival twice in each set.
He next faces former world number one but now struggling Australian Lletton Hewitt, who is now ranked 64, in his second round match of the USD 455,775 grass court event.
Amritraj is featuring in the doubles event as well, pairing with American Sam Querrey. Their first round opponents are Ruben Bemelmans of Belgium and Michal Przysiezny of Poland.
Another Indian featuring in the doubles draw is Divij Sharan, who for this tournament has teamed up with big serving Croat Ivo Karlovic.
Their opener is against Ukrainian pair of Illya Marchenko and Denys Molchanov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- NASA probe set to make closest approach yet to Jupiter
- Daraya under govt control after last rebels evacuated: Syria Army
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni & Co fall short by one run in world record run chase
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg beats Max Verstappen to grab pole position
- EPL 2016-17, Gameweek 3: Saturday football — Chelsea take pole, Arsenal end winless run