Amritraj makes a winning start at Newport
Newport: Prakash Amritraj began his campaign at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships with an easy straight sets win over Flavio Cipolla.
The US-based Indian wild scored a 6-2 6-3 win over his higher-ranked Italian opponent in the first round of the men`s singles.
The 308-ranked Amritraj, a runner up here in 2008, never faced a breakpoint in the contest and broke his rival twice in each set.
He next faces former world number one but now struggling Australian Lletton Hewitt, who is now ranked 64, in his second round match of the USD 455,775 grass court event.
Amritraj is featuring in the doubles event as well, pairing with American Sam Querrey. Their first round opponents are Ruben Bemelmans of Belgium and Michal Przysiezny of Poland.
Another Indian featuring in the doubles draw is Divij Sharan, who for this tournament has teamed up with big serving Croat Ivo Karlovic.
Their opener is against Ukrainian pair of Illya Marchenko and Denys Molchanov.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46