Andy Murray beats David Ferrer to win Miami Masters
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Florida: Andy Murray saved a match point to shatter David Ferrer’s dream to claim the Miami Masters title on Sunday –a win that will see him surpass Roger Federer in the world rankings.
Murray defeated Ferrer hard-fought final 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(1) to collect his second title at the event.
Last year, Murray had lost to Novak DJokovic in the final.
“It was such a tough match, it could have gone either way, both of us were struggling physically at the end,” Murray was quoted as saying in media reports after the match.
On the other hand, a disappointed Ferrer congratulated his opponent saying he felt tired.
“I am tired. It was a very long match. Andy had more at the end. Congratulations to him,” Ferrer said.
With this win, Murray will replace Federer as world No. 2 while Ferrer will become world No. 4 overtaking compatriot Rafael Nadal in the ATP rankings.
In the women’s event, Serena Williams outclassed Maria Sharapova to claim the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB