Andy Murray beats David Ferrer to win Miami Masters
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Florida: Andy Murray saved a match point to shatter David Ferrer’s dream to claim the Miami Masters title on Sunday –a win that will see him surpass Roger Federer in the world rankings.
Murray defeated Ferrer hard-fought final 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(1) to collect his second title at the event.
Last year, Murray had lost to Novak DJokovic in the final.
“It was such a tough match, it could have gone either way, both of us were struggling physically at the end,” Murray was quoted as saying in media reports after the match.
On the other hand, a disappointed Ferrer congratulated his opponent saying he felt tired.
“I am tired. It was a very long match. Andy had more at the end. Congratulations to him,” Ferrer said.
With this win, Murray will replace Federer as world No. 2 while Ferrer will become world No. 4 overtaking compatriot Rafael Nadal in the ATP rankings.
In the women’s event, Serena Williams outclassed Maria Sharapova to claim the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP