Andy Murray beats David Ferrer to win Miami Masters
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Florida: Andy Murray saved a match point to shatter David Ferrer’s dream to claim the Miami Masters title on Sunday –a win that will see him surpass Roger Federer in the world rankings.
Murray defeated Ferrer hard-fought final 2-6, 6-4, 7-6(1) to collect his second title at the event.
Last year, Murray had lost to Novak DJokovic in the final.
“It was such a tough match, it could have gone either way, both of us were struggling physically at the end,” Murray was quoted as saying in media reports after the match.
On the other hand, a disappointed Ferrer congratulated his opponent saying he felt tired.
“I am tired. It was a very long match. Andy had more at the end. Congratulations to him,” Ferrer said.
With this win, Murray will replace Federer as world No. 2 while Ferrer will become world No. 4 overtaking compatriot Rafael Nadal in the ATP rankings.
In the women’s event, Serena Williams outclassed Maria Sharapova to claim the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Anurag Kashyap will strike back with 'Raman Raghav 2.0' : Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Sonia Gandhi stashed bribe money in Geneva's Sarasin Bank?
- World record: 23-year-old Tobago batsman Iraq Thomas slams T20 century off 21 balls
- Donald Trump hints at taking India's help in dealing with `unstable` Pakistan
- Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo remains doubtful for 2nd leg against Manchester City