Andy Murray says playing ‘smart tennis’ reason behind winning maiden Grand Slam
London: British tennis star Andy Murray has claimed playing smart tennis rather than his best tennis was the major reason behind winning elusive Grand Slam at the US Open.
Murray also admitted that he had yet to come fully to terms with his achievement, but has had time to consider what made the difference during his glorious summer.
“I thought I played really well at the Olympics. At the US Open I didn`t feel like I played that well. Obviously the conditions didn`t help. But I played smart tennis,” the Independent quoted Murray, as saying.
“It wasn`t always easy to serve well or to hit the ball cleanly from the back of the court, but I found a way to win the matches, even when I wasn`t playing well. And that`s something that was so important,” he added.
“Sometimes in the past when I`ve been playing well I would win a lot of matches and then when I wasn`t playing well I would get down on myself and not figure out exactly how to win all of the time, especially in the Slams,” he said.
Murray added: “I think I did a very good job of that at the US Open because I didn`t feel like I played unbelievable tennis all the time, although the conditions didn`t help. I played smart the whole time and was able to stay focused.”
“I was using the time I had at the change of ends and the time between points better. I`d obviously managed to turn the match around against Cilic. That could easily have gone the other way. That was a big turning point,” he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video