Andy Murray says playing ‘smart tennis’ reason behind winning maiden Grand Slam
London: British tennis star Andy Murray has claimed playing smart tennis rather than his best tennis was the major reason behind winning elusive Grand Slam at the US Open.
Murray also admitted that he had yet to come fully to terms with his achievement, but has had time to consider what made the difference during his glorious summer.
“I thought I played really well at the Olympics. At the US Open I didn`t feel like I played that well. Obviously the conditions didn`t help. But I played smart tennis,” the Independent quoted Murray, as saying.
“It wasn`t always easy to serve well or to hit the ball cleanly from the back of the court, but I found a way to win the matches, even when I wasn`t playing well. And that`s something that was so important,” he added.
“Sometimes in the past when I`ve been playing well I would win a lot of matches and then when I wasn`t playing well I would get down on myself and not figure out exactly how to win all of the time, especially in the Slams,” he said.
Murray added: “I think I did a very good job of that at the US Open because I didn`t feel like I played unbelievable tennis all the time, although the conditions didn`t help. I played smart the whole time and was able to stay focused.”
“I was using the time I had at the change of ends and the time between points better. I`d obviously managed to turn the match around against Cilic. That could easily have gone the other way. That was a big turning point,” he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi