Andy Murray shrugs off defeat in UAE return
Abu Dhabi: Andy Murray`s return to action after a three-month injury lay-off ended in a straight sets defeat to France`s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the Mudabala World Tennis Championship on Thursday.
The Wimbledon champion and world number four went down 7-5, 6-3 to 10th-ranked Tsonga on the opening day of the three-day exhibition tournament.
"The courts here are very fast and you have to react quickly," said 26-year-old Murray, who underwent back surgery in September.
"Jo was sharper than me today, he served very well.
"It`s always good fun here. It`s great preparation for the season as you have to play against the best in the world.
"I have played some of my best tennis in the Middle East."
Tsonga went into the match with an 8-1 career deficit in competitive matches.
Even though Thursday`s clash was an exhibition meeting, the 28-year-old Frenchman was happy to have secured a rare triumph.
"It`s not often I take two sets off Andy, even in practice," said the Frenchman who has been plagued in recent months by knee trouble.
"I want to give my best in 2014 and perform better than before."
The Mubabala Championship continues on Friday with world number one Rafael Nadal facing fellow Spaniard David Ferrer who beat Switzerland`s Stanislas Wawrinka 7-5, 6-1 on Thursday.
Tsonga will face world number two Novak Djokovic also on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next