Ankita ends runner-up at Uzbeksitan ITF event
New Delhi: Indian qualifier Ankita Raina`s splendid run at the USD 25000 ITF Women tennis tournament in Karshi, Uzbekistan ended with a runners-up finish as she lost the summit clash in straight sets to local favourite Sabina Sharipova.
Playing her first ever final in a USD 25,000 ITF event, Ankita lost 3-6, 3-6 to Sharipova, who is ranked 92 places above the Indian in world ranking at 363.
"This was the first time I was playing in a USD 25,000 event final and was very anxious. I didn’t show enough patience and that hurt me," said Ankita, who would now playing a USD 25000 ITF event in Bukhara next week.
The run to the final will help Ankita add valuable 34 points to her ranking.
In the doubles event at the same tournament Ankita had made a first round exit with compatriot Prarthana G. Thombare after losing 3-6, 6-4, 6-10 to third seeded pair of Ukraine`s Veronika Kapshay and Teodora Mircic of Serbia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Musharraf, Kayani have Swiss Bank accounts, says London-based investigative journalist
- Kejriwal calls on Goa Archbishop
- Scarlett Johansson named highest grossing actress ever
- Briton charged with assassination attempt on Trump
- Sikh man plays hero, saves drowning girl using turban in Canada's Kamloops