Ankita in final of Lucknow ITF event
Lucknow: Ankita Raina recroded yet another convincing win to earn a shot at her second consecutive ITF title as she reached the summit clash of the Lucknow event, here on Friday.
Top seed Ankita, who is yet to lose a set in the tournament so far, defeated compatriot and fourth seed Shweta Rana 6-4 6-1 in the semifinals of the USD 10,000 tournament.
Ankita will face Japanese eighth seed Emi Mataguchi in the final. Mataguchi prevented an all Indian final by defeating Prarthana Thombare 6-3 6-1 in the second semifinal.
Ankita has been in terrific form for the last few months and tomorrow`s final would be her fourth consecutive summit clash.
The reigning grass-court national champion took some time to get into her groove at the Oudh Gymkhana Club Tennis complex. Both the players struggled to hold their serves in the first set and it was the sheer experience of the 20-year-old that helped her pocket the set.
It was one-way traffic thereafter with Ankita not giving her opponent any chance to get back in the back.
While Ankita would be attempting for her second successive title, her Japanese opponent has a chance to win a double crown after she teamed up with India’s Nidhi Chilumula to lift the women’s double title.
The top seeded combination got the better of Thombare and Natasha Palha 6-4 7-6 (7-4) in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015