Ankita in ITF singles final
New Delhi: Ankita Raina hammered compatriot Shweta Rana 6-3, 6-1 to reach the final of the ITF Women’s tennis tournament here on Friday.
This will be the fifth consecutive final in the $10,000 event for the 20-year-old and sixth in seven weeks. Ankita had also reached the finals of the $25,000 ITF event in Karshi, Uzbekistan earlier this month after going through the qualifying round.
The second seed will now take on the unseeded Eetee Maheta in the summit clash on Saturday.
Ankita wasn’t at her best in the first set as both players struggled to hold serve. She managed to hold serve for the first time in the eighth game and that turned out to be the only game that went on serve Ankita broke Shweta’s serve for the fifth consecutive time to pocket the set.
In the second set, Ankita was much more in control and raced to a 4-0 lead and then never looked back from there.
In the other semifinal, Eetee got the better of Natasha Palha 1-6, 7-5, 6-2.
In the doubles final, Prarthana Thombare and Natasha Palha tried their best to upset top seeds Rishika Sunkara and Naomi Totka of Hungary but ended up second best in the super tie-break.
Prarthana and Natasha lost 4-6, 6-4, 11-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'